Tony Daley autobiography - coming soon

About Tony Daley

Tony Daley joined his hometown club, Aston Villa, as an apprentice at the age of 14 and made his senior debut, aged 17, on 20 April 1985 in a 2–0 defeat at Southampton. He played for the Midlands club for ten seasons, nine at the highest level, and finished a runner-up in both the 1989-1990 and 1992-1993 league championships. 

He also played in their victorious 1994 League Cup Final against Manchester United at Wembley and nearly got onto the scoresheet, but his shot hit the post and was rebounded by Dalian Atkinson only for Andrei Kanchelskis to block it with a handball for which he was sent off. Dean Saunders converted the penalty and put Villa 3–1 ahead, a scoreline which formed the final result and gave Villa a record fifth League Cup win. Daley collected what would be the only major trophy of his career.

During this period, Daley was capped seven times for England  between 1991 and 1992 under former club manager Graham Taylor. He made his full debut as a substitute in a vital 1–1 draw in Poland  on 13 November 1991 that saw England qualify for 1992 European Championships. He was subsequently chosen for the squad at the tournament and played in two of England's three games there, but after the tournament he never played for England again.

Daley linked up with Graham Taylor again as he finally left Villa for Wolverhampton Wanderers  in July 1994 for £1.25 million, along with his former-Villa teammate, Steve Froggatt, but he was plagued with injuries and was only able to manage 21 appearances for the club in four seasons.

He was signed once more in July 1998 by Graham Taylor, who was Watford manager, on a free transfer. His injury woes continued though and he struggled to get fit, missing the final months as the club won promotion to the Premier League. He was given a free transfer to newly promoted Division One side, Walsall in June 1999, and after a six-month spell there, he finished his playing career with Conference side Forest Green Rovers, finally hanging up his boots in July 2002.

Daley's perhaps best known goal came in a First Division game against Everton at Villa Park on 22 October 1988, a spectacular flying volley in a 2–0 win for Villa, the goal quickly, thanks in no small part to the popular football video series 'Goals Galore', became known as 'Daley's Dazzler' and is also remembered for full-back Chris Price (who supplied the cross) having a little celebration all of his own.


Gary Mills autobiography - coming soon


About Gary Mills

Gary Mills started his career with hometown club, Nottingham Forest, playing mainly as a right-back or in midfield. He became the club's youngest league player after making his first-team debut at the age of 16 in 1978 under the reign of Brian Clough. He played in the victorious 1980 European Cup Final, which made him the youngest finalist in European Cup history

He then joined NASL team Seattle Sounders in 1982 and played for them for one season, which culminated in a loss to the New York Cosmos in Soccer Bowl '82. While with them, Gary had a loan spell at Derby County, making 23 appearances for the Second Division club, before returning to Forest in 1983. He left them for their local rivals, Notts County of the Third Division in 1987. Gary then joined another East Midlands club, Leicester City in 1989, and after two unsuccessful forays into the First Division play-offs under Brian Little, he captained them to win promotion to the Premier League in 1994. He soon returned to Notts County, by this time playing in the First Division, where he earned the last honour of his playing career, winning the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1995. Gary retired from professional football in 1996 due to an injury, having made 159 appearances for Notts County over two spells.

He started his managerial career as player-manager with Grantham Town in 1996 and left after leading them to the Southern League Midland Division title in his second season. He then served as player-manager at Southern League Premier Division club Kings' Lynn from 1998, until he resigned in 2000. 

Gary’s first full managerial role in the Football League was with Notts County in 2004, but was dismissed several months after the club was relegated to League Two. He then went on to manage: Alfreton Town in  the Conference North from 2005 to 2007, Tamworth, where he led them to the Conference North title in 2009 and York City, where he saw victories in the FA Trophy and Conference Premier play-offs in 2012. He was dismissed by York in 2013 before taking over at Gateshead, and after leading them to the Conference Premier play-offs in 2014 he was named the Non-League Manager of the Year. Gary took over as manager of their National League rivals Wrexham in 2015, but was dismissed the following year.